Today marks the first city-wide telecommuting day in Austin, Texas. Announced back in December, city officials are now encouraging companies to test out this new flexible form of working to curb traffic congestion, especially during peak hours. It should be no surprise that we at LifeSize are big fans of working from home (WFH) and many of our employees work out of their homes on a daily basis.
To celebrate this special occasion (that will hopefully become more common than only once a year), we have compiled some of the most compelling statistics we’ve seen about the benefits of telecommuting:
- As much as 850 million gallons of fuel could be saved annually if all those who could telework did so at least one day a week
- 79 percent of U.S. workers say they would like to work from home at least part of the time (WorldatWork Telework Trendlines 2009). 80 percent of federal employees say they want to (2012 Status of Telework in Federal Government: Report to Congress).
- About 50 percent of CFOs surveyed say telework is the second best way to attract talent (salary is number one) and one third listed it as the best way
- If those with compatible jobs and a desire to work from home did so just half the time (roughly the national average for those who do so regularly) the national savings would total over $700 billion a year including:
- A typical business would save $11,000 per person per year
- The telecommuters would save between $2,000 and $7,000 a year
- The greenhouse gas reduction would be the equivalent of taking the entire New York State workforce permanently off the road
- The Congressional Budget Office’s estimate of the entire five year cost of implementing telework throughout government ($30 million) is less than a third of the cost of lost productivity from a single day shut-down of federal offices in Washington DC due to snow ($100 million).
With all of these statistics, it’s a wonder why more companies haven’t adopted telecommuting. Hopefully, more cities will give this flexible working model a try (even just for one day) and will soon realize the tremendous benefits we could experience as a result.
Are you telecommuting today? Tweet us a picture to @LifeSizeHD of yourself working from home and you could win a T-shirt from LifeSize. The best picture will win these LifeSize boxers, too!