Driving the adoption of new software within an organization can prove to be a challenge, especially when users are already accustomed to their daily workflow. Communication tools have the power to connect people around the globe, and businesses are always looking for new ways to improve collaboration among their employees—but the full value of these solutions is often lost with lackluster adoption. An easy way to understand the importance of adoption is through a concept called the network effect.
The network effect essentially describes that the value of a product or service increases with each additional person who uses it. A common example is the telephone. If only one person has a telephone, the device is essentially useless because there is no one to call. (We’re talking old school telephones here; one person on an iPhone 6S can effectively run a country.) The value of the telephone was fully realized when it became a common household fixture. The same holds true for organizational communications like video conferencing. As more users adopt the new solution and retire any outdated solutions, the value goes up and the effectiveness of the solution shines.
Five tips to boost software adoption
- It starts with the product. The simpler it is to use, the more people will want to use it. Difficult user interfaces just slow down workflows and promote hostility toward change. With video calls, it doesn’t get much easier than one-click directory dialing and one-click screen sharing.
- Spread the word. Communicate the benefits and get people excited about the new technology. Share the stuff that motivated you to purchase the solution and focus the story on how it will make users’ lives better every day.
- Get educated. Investigate training opportunities and take advantage of them. From YouTube videos to full certification programs, training makes a huge impact on adoption. For training specific to Lifesize Cloud, head over to Lifesize University and take advantage of the free training.
- Share your high score. Gamify the adoption process and reward good behavior. Gamification can be as elaborate as a software-based badging and scorekeeping program or as simple as holding a raffle for all users signed up by a given date. For maximum results, throw a pizza party for everyone who signed up!
- Make a plan and stick to it. If you’re introducing a new technology to replace something outdated, dial back the support on any current products as your users adopt the new technologies. Limiting choices will help direct users to the new and improved product.
Every implementation is different, and there is no one-size-fits-all answer to software adoption, but by following these tips you’ll be able to better capitalize on the network effect advantage. At Lifesize, we have a team of exceptional people dedicated to and focused on project success. We know that as more users are enabled and as the utilization of features like the shared directory, virtual meeting rooms and mobile apps goes up, the overall communication and collaboration goes viral within the organization. Join the conversation on the Lifesize Community to share your successes and learn how others are utilizing their adoption strategies.
For more tips on driving the adoption of your cloud video conferencing solution, register for our new webinar, Keys to Success: Adopting Video Conferencing with IMA and Silicon Labs.
Sparking excitement and driving adoption is just one of the Eight Challenges Solved by Cloud Video Conferencing.